SELF-HELP GROUP MEETINGS
Attend a meeting of Alcohol Anonymous (AA), Cocaine Anonymous (CA) or Narcotic Anonymous (NA). Write your self-help paper using the guidelines on the next page.
- Consult the Internet or telephone directory for a listing of the self-help group (AA/CA/NA orAl-Anon/Alateen) meeting places.
- Do not select a meeting place that you, your family or your relatives are currently attending or have recently attended.
- Contact the AA/CA/NA meeting place conveniently located for you.
- Call and ask for the AA/CA/NA schedule of the meetings.
- You are not expected to speak during the meeting. You are there to observe.
Guidelines in Writing the Paper:
1. The paper will be three pages in APA format, not including the cover page, the APAtitle page, and
the reference page.
2. The paper will contain an introduction, body, and conclusion.
3.The introduction explicitly identifies the concept “self-help group” and the purpose(s) of the paper.
4.The body will include:
- The date, time, location of the meeting
- A description of the atmosphere of the meeting place (approximate number of people, environment, attitude of different people, etc.)
- Explain the step(s)that was (were)discussed in the AA/CA/NA meeting. If the step(s) were not discussed, then explain what was discussed. OR Explain what was discussed in the Al-Anon/Alateen meeting. Provide examples.
- A description of some of the interpersonal relationships you observed
- How you think a “newcomer” with a substance-related problem or mental illness disorder may feel attending the meeting for the first time.
- How you felt as an individual attending the meeting
- A description of how AA/CA/NA or Al-Anon/Alateen is a therapeutic intervention for persons living with a substance-related or mental illness disorder.