1. Define human resource management. What human resource management functions must be performed regardless of the organization s size?
2. What are the environmental factors that affect HRM? Describe each.
Read HRM Incident 1: HR after a Disaster in the Course Textbook. Provide answers to the following questions.
1. Which external environment factor(s) did Hurricane Rita affect? Discuss.
2. How were the human resource functions affected by Hurricane Rita?
3. Do you believe that the HR situation described regarding Hurricane Rita would be typical in a disaster? Explain.
1. Why is it important to have a code of ethics?
2. What are the areas in which HR professionals can have a major impact on ethics?
Read HRM Incident 1: An Ethical Flaw in the Textbook and Answer the following
1. From an ethical standpoint, how would you evaluate the merits of Mr. Garbo’s employing Amber? Discuss.
2. Now that she is employed, how would you suggest that the situation be resolved?
3. It may be that Mr. Garbo viewed the hiring of Amber as strictly a business decision that would ensure receiving continued business from Amber’s father. What might be some negative results of this questionable ethical decision?